Ages 8 and up
KERFLIP is an exciting, shoot-from-the-hip style word game that rewards you for making words faster than your opponents can. A unique flip-scoring system allows tiles to have variable point values. The first time a tile is used, it’s worth full value to the player that uses it. After it’s been used, it’s flipped and is worth only half the value to the remaining players.
Okay so I love word and puzzle games, my husband not so much; so you can guess how many times we play them. I took a chance breaking out Kerflip with him and he ended up loving it! It is like Scrabble but since you combine your titles with others you get more letters to choose from to make a word. Playing Kerflip is just like its slogan “The Fast-Thinking. Flip-Scoring, Free-For-All Game!” It is a game where you shout out a word, keep score and repeat! I love the challenge of coming up with a word and competing so Kerflip is the perfect game for me! My husband is not the best speller and since he has more tiles to choose from and the chance to earn bonus points with the cards, he doesn’t fall too far behind me.
The way the game works is easy:
- Each player picks a certain amount of titles and places them on the board at the same time. (Make sure all titles are Ivory side up)
- Call out a word as soon as you can!
- First person to call out a word flips letters over to orange.
- Other players can build their words using the orange titles if they need to, they just don’t get as many points.
- Ivory titles = 10, orange = 5 – keep score
- Sweep used titles right back into box and recycle unused letters into bag to pick again.
- Game over when all titles are used.
- There are also bonuses – pick the gold title and you get double points or use a letter with a number in the corner of the tile and get bonus cards for them!
Both our letters:
We each spelled a different word. We got 40 points each.
I spelled Lambs for 50 points + Bonus
Doug used some of my letters to spell Sham and got 30 points for it.
I will say that reading directions always makes the games sound more complicated than they are for me, but once we started playing this game it was easy to pick it up. The game is for ages 8 and up, with 2-4 players at a time. I think Kerflip would be a fun party game or just use it to unwind (which is what my husband and I do.) The best feature though is that you play right within the box and everything has its place! Not too many different pieces to worry about and you really don’t need a table to set the game up!
BUY IT: You can buy Kerflip for $24.99 direct through the Creative Foundry Gamestore.
COUPON: Use coupon code “blog20” to save 20% off your purchase at www.kerflip.com through July 31.
WIN IT: (1) US winner will receive the game Kerflip
Mom and More Disclosure: I was sent this item to review in exchange for my honest opinion. Please see my Disclosure Policy.