I admit this year was the first year I really appreciated the Olympics in the sense of American pride. I started to think about how important it is that things are still made here in the United States, which seems like a rarity these days. Once company that keeps their prices for some of America’s favorites while manufacturing them here is Crayola. Yep Crayola’s regular-sized crayons, a back to school must have, is one of those items priced reasonably under $2.
From the small pack of eight crayons to a 120-count box, Crayola crayons are made right here in the United States, Easton Pennsylvania to be exact. Their crayons are made using the finest pigments for intense color and is a special blend of that colored pigment along with paraffin wax for smoothness and clay for strength, that makes Crayola stand out amongst the other brands. Over 1200 employees work to create the high quality crayons many kids and classrooms will be using across the nation.
Some Crayola facts:
- Over 650 crayons per minute and up to 13.5 million crayons are made each day.
- More than 400 different crayon colors are made, including favorites such as burnt sienna, carnation pink and midnight blue.
- On average, the company makes 3 billion crayons a year, enough to circle the world six times!
- A solar farm located in Forks Township, PA provides enough power to make 1 billion of the 3 billion crayons that Crayola produces each year and 500 million markers per year.
For me Crayola brings back memories of my childhood. I remember having this plastic case of a million crayons (okay so it wasn’t a million but back then it seemed like it) and laying on my aunts floor and coloring all the time. I actually looked forward to going there because of those cool crayons, at home I had half the amount of colors. My favorite was always Cerulean blue, it was just the perfect shade – its funny that I remember that. Now I get to share my love of crayons with my own kids and hopefully inspire their creativity. Opening a box of brand new crayons and smelling that smell is definitely an American classic for me. I honestly had no clue Crayola was manufactured here, but it gives me pride knowing it is and that I am supporting our country!
Check out The Life of An American Crayon:
BUY IT: Look for Crayola products at your local mass retailer and check out Crayola.com for lots of fun printables and to learn more!
WIN IT: (1) US winner will receive a Crayola Prize Pack
- 24-ct. crayon box
- 64-ct. crayon box
- 120-ct. crayon box
- 10-ct. Classic broadline markers
- 8-ct. Washable broadline markers