Released: August 21, 2012
The Two-MovieCollection, Blu-ray debut features exciting all-new bonus material including “Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story of Hiawatha,” a fascinating behind-the-scenes featurette showcasing how Walt Disney and his team were once developing a full-length animated feature called “Hiawatha,” that ultimately directly influenced the development of “Pocahontas.”
Bursting with all the “Colors of the Wind” and filled with spirited adventure, romance, and the show-stopping songs of Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, the “Pocahontas Two-Movie Collection” features an award-winning cast that includes Mel Gibson (“The Passion of the Christ;” Academy Award® winner, Best Director “Braveheart,” 1995), Irene Bedard, Christian Bale (“Reign of Fire;” Academy Award® winner, Best Performance by an Actor in a SupportingRole “The Fighter,” 2011) and David Ogden Stiers (“Lilo and Stitch,” “Pooh’s Heffalump Movie”).
“Pocahontas” won Academy Awards® for both “Best Original Score” and “Best Song – “Colors of the Wind” 1995. The film also earned a Grammy Award® for “Best Song” (“Colors of the Wind,” 1996).
3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Disc Blu-ray + 2 Disc DVD)
Includes the movies, plus:
- Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story of Hiawatha - During the 1940’s, Walt Disney and his team were developing a full-length animated feature called “Hiawatha.” During the early stages of development for “Pocahontas,” the directors found the “Hiawatha” storyboards and were amazed at what they saw. It directly influenced their development of “Pocahontas.” Now, for the first time ever, the full story of Walt Disney’s “Hiawatha” will be presented by “Pocahontas” co-director Eric Goldberg and animation historian Charles Solomon.
- Deleted Song: “If I Never Knew You” - Pocahontas co-director Eric Goldberg introduces this fully animated deleted song, now in hi def. Optional audio commentary with co-directors Eric Goldberg & Mike Gabriel and producer James Pentecost.
- “Little Hiawatha” Cartoon Short
- Deleted Scenes
- “Pocahontas” Audio Commentary - with co-directors Eric Goldberg, Mike Gabriel and producer James Pentecost
- Virtual Vault- a collection of past bonus features, offered via online streaming
Pocahontas is a DVD that while it is not accurate to history, it is a great story for children, little girls especially. It tells the tale that women can be strong and confident and tough decisions need to be made. The 3-Disc Special Edition includes three discs: Blu-ray with both movie titles and a separate DVD for each title. There are actually two full-length movies in this set: Pocahontas and Pocahontas 2. I had actually never seen (or heard of) Pocahontas 2 so it was nice to watch that. This is definitely a Disney title that has not gotten a lot of exposure but its still a great one to add to the collection. The animation and sound has also been remastered, while still keeping the original animation in tact.
Mom and More Disclosure: I was sent this DVD to review in exchange for my honest opinion. Please see my Disclosure Policy.