- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or I used 2 tbsp. minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups broth (I used chicken because that is what I had on hand)
- 1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup milk or cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Bacon
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees
- Toss the cauliflower florets in the oil along with salt and pepper then arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the cauliflower in the oven until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Sauté onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and sauté about a minute.
- Add the broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a blender. (I used my big blender but an immersion blender would work as well.)
- Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the milk and remove from heat.
- Top with bacon if you'd like.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking
I picked this Specially Selected cheese up at Aldi:
Cauliflower mixed with olive oil ready to be baked in oven:
Baked cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients simmering: