Walking is something that is not only free but can be so beneficial for one’s health. I admit I hate to excercise and I can’t run for the life of me, but walking is something I don’t mind at all. I actually can’t wait for warmer weather, we are in the 30′s now here in Chicago, so I can go walking with my neighbor again. I was doing so good walking every night and now I stay in all the time. Here are some ways I get some extra steps in while being inside. Now yes I could say to use a treadmill or go to a gym, but here are free and simple ways I use:
- Wear a Pedometer. Wearing my FitBit really motivates me to get more steps than I did the day before and work towards the recommended 10,000 steps a day. I am constantly checking it and I admit I feel a little pathetic when I only have a few thousand steps for the day. What is worse is I just read that that celebrities use 14,000 steps as a minimum – so apparently I need to get stepping!
- Have more than one bathroom? Use the bathroom farther from you each time. For me since I am mainly on the main floor I challenge myself to go upstairs to the bathroom in my bedroom. It not only gives me extra steps but I can usually bring laundry up or down at the same time.
- Don’t just stand there when you are blow drying your hair, brushing your teeth or talking on the phone – Walk! Yes I walk around my bedroom when I brush my teeth and blow dry my hair just to keep moving and keep my steps going. (I admit I even walk in place while I am in the shower at times.)
- Always park farther away. Don’t drive around and around to get a super-close parking spot, park farther away and get those steps in.
- Don’t bug your kids (or husband) to get something for you. I am bad with asking my kids to bring me this or that. Now I just get up and get it myself.
- Do you walk your kids to the bus stop? Well instead of turning around and walking home, do a quick walk around the block! I admit I am not doing this now since its 30 degrees but it is on my goal list!
- At stores, walk up and down the aisles. Yes I know this can be dangerous but it is an easy way to gain extra steps and I sometimes find items I forgot about or items on sale I could use.
Don’t forget every step counts!