Broccolli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half (I made my own with 2% milk- see recipe below)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli ( florets only)
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger (or Nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute onions in a dab of butter in small pan – set aside.
- In a large pot– melt butter and add flour. Mix for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add half- half – mixing the entire time.
- ***** I did not have Half and Half. I used 3 tablespoons melted butter and the rest 2% milk to add up to 2 cups. *****
- Add Chicken Broth- mixing the entire time.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots; onions and cook on low for 25 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper; Ginger. (The recipe originally called for Nutmeg but my son has a nut allergy and I wasn't sure if he could have that.)
- Add cheese and heat on Low until cheese is melted.
- Serve and Enjoy!
My own Half and Half:
Before cheese was added: