This post is sponsored by Blue Lizard.
When I was younger my mom would slather sunscreen on me like there was no tomorrow. Then when I became a teenager I remember I was too cool for sunscreen, or so I thought. Now as a mom I have tons of freckles and sunspots on my shoulders and I worry about skin cancer. I wish I wouldn’t have stopped using sunscreen in my teens and I wish kids of today realized the importance.
Did you know that each year there are more cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon or that One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime?* Skin cancer is something that scares me for myself and my family and something I have become quite proactive about.
Here are some ways I keep my family safe from dangerous UV rays:
- We try to head out early in the morning or later in the day as midday is usually when the rays are the strongest.
- We try to stay in the shade whenever possible.
- Keep covered from hats to arms and legs. I actually got my kids those long-sleeved UV-blocking shirts for swimming when we were in the Caribbean last year and they were such a help for extra protection.
- We do self-checks regularly on ourselves and our kids. I also make sure to ask our doctors about any marks that look suspicious. It doesn’t hurt to ask and there are no dumb questions!
- Sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen! I try to apply a sunscreen like Blue Lizard first thing in the morning with my kids (since it should be applied 30 minutes before going outside) and then I make sure we reapply throughout the day. Its also important to use sunscreen year-round which can be easily forgotten about when its cold out. If the sun is out and we are out, I make sure we are lathered up, even if its just our faces that is showing.
Why Blue Lizard?
Well Blue Lizard uses Smart Bottles that actually change colors in the presence of harmful UV rays, as a great reminder to cover up. What a genius idea and great way to remember to re-apply.
This is one of our bottles that is normally white but since UV rays were out it turned blue:
I actually discovered Blue Lizard last April that originated in Australia. I figure a sunscreen developed with the Australian sun in mind is one that can handle the sun over here! Now Blue Lizard is manufactured right in the U.S. under the same strict standards of formulation for sun protection using only the highest quality ingredients. Yeah for Made in the U.S.A.
Blue Lizard is clinically proven to protect against broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. It is a mineral-based cream that delivers SPF 30+ formulation and is also water-resistant. It always surprises me when sunscreen is not water-resistant.
No matter what your need or skin type is Blue Lizard has a product available. Blue Lizard is also the brand most recommended by pediatricians, dermatologist, pharmacists and moms nationwide.
Do you have a tip for keeping your family safe from the sun?
Stay Connected with Blue Lizard:
BUY IT: Use the coupon code P20MANDM to save 20% OFF orders over $35. Expires 9/30/16.
WIN IT: (1) US winner will receive a Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Prize Pack
5oz Sensitive, 5oz Face, 3oz Baby, 3oz Sport, 2 Baby sachets and 2 Color-change UV sensitive bracelets (Total Retail Value: $67)
Need help entering a giveaway? Check out my blog post for some help!