Tip: Keep Green Onions Longer

I am constantly using green onions and the times I really need them is the time that I am also usually out.  Well I figured out a way to save them from shriveling up!  I cut them up and put them in an old parmesan cheese container (you can use any container, this works great though because you can shake them out) and freeze them!  I shake them out as needed and they are absolutely fine!  I wouldn’t store them for more than a few months but this is a great way to save those green onions for the month, rather than a week in the fridge.

green onions

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. Jerry Marquardt says:

I love your tips on keeping of onions and them lasting the longest. I love fresh produce, so this was very informative.

2. Vicki Howes says:

Perfect – thanks for the tip.

3. While you freeze and use up your green onions, you can put the root part in some water to grow out more green onion. Just change the water every couple of days as it can get stinky without changing it.

• We do this (grow more greens from the root end) and the grand kids LOVE it!!! You can do it year round and it does save money if you work with several and give it time to grow, which is not long! Thanks for posting, I reposted on my Pinterest.

4. Thank you for this tip!! Helpful!! Any other veggies do well like this?!

5. Love the Parmesan Cheese container idea! I like to chop and freeze white onions, bell peppers, fresh mushrooms, carrots, celery…..just about anything! Still tastes fresh and I don’t have to spend time chopping for every meal. I will have to start saving Parmesan Cheese containers. Thanks for the tip!

6. silly question but don’t all the pieces just stick together as one chunk? (like if I’d only want a few tbsps for a recipe, could I get them out?)

7. Do you freeze the green onions on a baking sheet first before you put them in the jar??

• cindy I was wondering the same thing

• Miine don’t stick because I let them sit out on the counter on a clean kitchen towel to dry, but the Freezing on a cookie sheet idea works for me too! Sometimes the farmers market guys are “ready to go home!!” and I can get a deal by taking the rest of their green onions in bulk!! That’s when I freeze them and I use most of the root end in dishes for the freezer (from Six Sisters Freezers Recipes). I gather small glass containers and put them in a plastic basket on the lania (Live in Florida) and grow my own greens in bulk too! Friends love it when I go overboard and share!!! LOL Glad to know about the Cheese container!!! I am a container saver, so I have a few!! Thanks for posting!! I also Pinned this to my Pinterest!!

8. Barb Garber says:

What a great tip! I would however use a Tupperware container to keep them fresh even longer.

• Yep that works too. I just like the parmesan container so I can shake them out and all my Tupperware is too big to fit in my freezer!

9. Patti Parsons says:

Wow. Makes perfect sense. i cant wait to do this do this!

10. misty farmer says:

Very great idea! Thanks!

11. bill elliott says:

This a great tip, we use green onions all the time. they do not last when you put them in just a storage bag. We will start doing this today. Thank you for the post.

12. Jesselyn A/Jesstinger says:

What a great idea! I wish I’d seen this sooner. Like you I use green onions (and garlic – often together in cooking recipes) I get so tired of doing all that chopping everyday.. Having handy containers with each of the them and one for a combo of both.

I wonder if this would work well with chopped parsley too? In any case, I’m going to try this tip. Thanks for sharing!

13. Thanks for sharing! I always have leftover green onions from recipes and don’t know what to do with them. Great tip!

14. Kathy Smith says:

I like your tip on green onions, I am always using them also. The best is you can keep for at least a month. Thanks

15. Thanks for the great tip. I can never keep my green onions longer than a week so this will definitely help.

16. What a great tip, it’s like a Hint from Heloise. I’m going to try this with my home grown green onions.

17. This is a super idea! I always cut them up use them & whatever is left over I throw away. Won’t be doing that anymore! Thanks

18. Niki Mattes says:

I have the same problem, I will try this out for sure, thanks for the tip!

19. Chrystal D says:

What a great idea! Thanks for the tip, this will help me out a lot!

20. Susan Slacky Faatz says:

Never would have thought of this thanks

21. Thanks this is a great idea. I never would have thought of freezing them. I to always run out when I need them. I like the idea of reusing a parmesan cheese container for them to . Just dump out what you need. Recycling and freezing all are good to do.

22. Maggie Buerger says:

This is a great tip. I love green onions and would love to keep them longer in the frig. Thanks.

23. Nena Sinclair says:

Great idea! I also use a lot of green onions and they’re always going bad in the fridge! I never thought about freezing them! Thanks for the tip!

24. Holly Trudeau says:

Wow never would have thought to do that but makes sense1! Helps that it’s easy 🙂

25. Alana Vester says:

What a great tip! I like using green onions but they seem to go bad so fast!

26. sharon cowles says:

I do the same thing..have you ever tried to regrow the green onions….I cut the root end off and the grandies love to see them grow…. we add some small pebbles in a shallow dish and cover the roots..add a little water every few days… and the tops will grow into new green onions

27. What a genius idea!
    I would have never thought to do that 🙂

28. Awesome tip! I will have to try that!

• FYI………those neat parmesan jar tops will fit regular size canning jars or old mayo jars that are not wide mouth size.