Escape rooms have taken the world by storm, offering thrilling challenges that engage the mind and creating long-lasting memories. More often than not, families stumble upon an escape room adventure when looking for an idea for a kid’s birthday or a birthday party for young people. But the truth is that escape rooms are not just for kids. They are fun for people of all ages, and they can be stimulating for adults too.
In fact, for many adults, it is a chance to escape their realities and become the hero of their own adventure. As it happens, the escape room scene in New York City is huge, with literally 195 rooms to choose from. So, if you are an escape room enthusiast, you definitely want to plan a trip to NYC.
How long should your NYC escape room trip be?
With almost 200 rooms scattered throughout the city and plenty of tourist attractions across New York, you want to plan a stay of 5 to 7 days to make the most of it. This will allow you to spend quality time playing some of the best escape rooms around but also relaxing and visiting must-see places. So, for stays of this duration, you want to avoid the typical hotel room and look for extended stay accommodations. If you are unsure what these are, you can learn more here. Think of it as a second home away from home with all the comfort and appliances you need.
Which are the top escape rooms in NYC?
It is hard to choose only a few. However, let’s be honest, you won’t be able to play all the rooms the city has to offer. So, here is a brief overview of the must-do rooms.
- Heresy: 1897 – This game is run by Doors of Divergence in Brooklyn, East Williamsburg. The escape adventure is described as a show by the company, and it is only fair as the gamemaster is an actor in the adventure. Prepare yourself for a totally immersive world. The experience lasts between 90 and 120 minutes.
- Playground at the Escape Game NYC in Manhattan. You will feel yourself become a child again in this room. Playground has an elementary school theme that is super fun and exciting. Puzzles range from observation to physical manipulation, which means they tend to be on the easy side so you’ve got more time to enjoy the set!
- Gold Rush with the Escape Game NYC too is a refreshing theme that is designed for a total tactile immersion. You will literally dive into the past and revisit the 1800s California gold rush. Your goal is to find the gold left by your deceased relative. This is a fun exploratory game in a superb decor.
- Escape Game NYC is a company that never disappoints. So even if the game mentioned here are not available, you can book any of their other games in NYC and have a blast!
- Guardian of Gotham, by PanIQ Room not far from Madison Square Garden, allows you to step into the footsteps of superheroes. Your mission is to defeat Doctor Time, whose powers as a cyber vigilante unnerve the public. This game is suitable for young players too, and it will definitely give you a boost!
Are you ready to plan your escape room trip to the Big Apple? There is a lot to do, so make sure to book your games ahead and schedule plenty of time for breaks and snacks during the day.