I received a trial in exchange for sharing my honest opinion.
My oldest child is going into fifth grade and honestly has always been playing catch up with school work. He has always needed extra help and of course I am last person he wants helping him. We have tried different strategies for him to learn but it has been a long five years of schoolwork struggles.
Things we have tried with him:
- Private tutor he met with at the library
- One and one time with mom or dad
- Various free online websites
- Workbooks at home
- Extra time in the classroom other students after school
I can’t say nothing has worked for him because he has finally caught himself up to his grade level but like I said, it has been a struggle.
Revolution Math is an online program I found about six weeks ago that has been amazing for him. It is a website that my son has been attending once a week for one-hour sessions via an online interface.
What makes Revolution Math amazing?
- You will receive a learning kit when you sign up then going forward you’ll receive workbooks
- The program uses a story-based curriculum and Common Core aligned math games. My son actually looks forward to hearing about the stories.
- The class size is up to four students under a dedicated teacher.
- Areas of math are taught along with a story of characters, which is read aloud during the session.
- Comic book style workbooks are sent every three weeks or so for kids to complete and earn extra points.
- You can even print out some pages that can be found in the Revolution Math workbook
- No driving anywhere – you just need a computer/tablet with camera and wi-fi for each session.
- Same teacher each session so the teacher will always know what works for your child and how to help them. My son loves his teacher and looks forward to his session with “Mr. Sean.”
- Your child will earn points to move to the next level which is easily checked.
- Your child will earn gems for various games and activities which can then be used towards real prizes! My son is so excited that he can actually earn himself a scooter or LEGO set!
(The prizes are grayed out because we don’t have enough gems for them yet.)
- Revolution Math is not just for kids who struggle in math. It is perfect for sparking a love of math for any child or just to help keep kids on track.
What is the catch with Revolution Math?
So you get four sessions a month (or five depending on how many days are in the month) for one hour each and the cost is $149. To some that can seem expensive but when you break it down into the weekly sessions and the workbooks you receive, it is super reasonable. I did see a discount too if you sign up for year instead of paying monthly. You can also cancel at any time, no contract is required.
As a mom who has tried a lot of different ways to help her child with math, this program has really worked for us. I will say though it may not be for everyone. My middle child is someone who needs to be someone else to learn or he is too distracted. If he was at home online, he would start fidgeting with stuff around him plus he is not a big technology person. He is more of a in-person teacher and someone who likes to work at his own pace quietly. Revolution Math has your child talking and answering questions for an hour, with up to three peers, so they shouldn’t be shy.
It is pretty cool too how your child can write on the screen with their mouse to answer questions:
Revolution Math is also only designed for 2nd-5th graders so if you have a child outside of those grades, it wouldn’t be for you. I feel though 2nd-5th grade is when kids learn such a base for the math they will learn and use the rest of their lives. My son usually whines when I tell him its tell for school or homework, but when I tell him its time for his Revolution Math session I usually find him already sitting at the computer. We are actually continuing his Revolution Math sessions past our trial because my son really enjoys it and I love seeing his love for math grow!
Check out Revolution Math
Learn more about Revolution Math via the website. When you subscribe to weekly emails by clicking GET STARTED, you will receive a promo code to activate for a 2-week FREE trial!