Beer might be your go-to drink for all times but of late, mead has come to dominate tables suddenly and surprisingly at that! Probably the oldest drink in the world, mead goes back to around 7000 BC in regions of North China. There is evidence that this sugary drink was in favor even before grape wines or beers came to be.
Evolution of Mead
- From Greeks to Vikings—every ancient culture has associations with mead. It fell out of favor with time. However, it is steadily making a comeback and a cool one at that!
- The simple drink spins off from honey and water that uses yeast for fermentation. It stays fine for a very long time—for years—more precisely. The process of making mead is so simple that makers find it less time consuming that even brewing beer. The yeast works on the sugar content of honey to convert the syrup into an alcohol laced beverage.
Some Mead-y Trivia
Mead comes with properties that enhance fertility. The trivia here is that the word honeymoon has roots in the concept of mead drinking that couples would indulge in to get over the initial jitters of marriage. Some drinkers take time to adapt to the unique taste of mead. It might not appeal to every palette but there are so many customizable flavorings available, that one kind of mead gets made for everyone!
A smart way that mead has upped its popularity with the fact that it is customizable in a number of styles. These include-
- Semi sweet
The Varieties of Mead
Makers even add fruit and spice flavors as accents when making mead. The amount of alcohol also varies in different variants of mead. The popularity of mead has risen further due to the variations you find in taste for every different type of mead. You even have very low alcohol content or non-carbonated options available in mead.
Benefits of Mead
- A school of thought propounds that mead is healthier when weighed against wine or beer. In ancient times, it gained ground as a medical drink. This could be because of the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey.
- Even today, mead drinkers swear that it is easier to metabolize in the body, than beer or wine. Be informed of the high sugar content that mead packs in though!
Shopping for quality Mead
- You can get good quality mead across artisanal bars and even online. The famous Hidden Legend Winery offers mead for delivery to your doorstep. Their creations are award-winning picks! You can sample mead at bars too. In fact, wineries are offering kits to help you make mead at home.
- From elderberries to cinnamon—there is immense variety that is available for this “drink of the Gods.”
- A number of modern day mead establishments offer premium memberships packages to enthusiasts.
- You get access to the latest flavors of mead that are fresh off the barrel. Check out the mead making bars in your region via the American Mead Makers’ Association listings.
Mead has introduced us to an alternative to beer and wine, of late. The taste appeals to most palettes though it has its own set of critics. For now, you need not pick a winning drink. Simply be happy that there is another player on the block. Check out the various flavors of mead to develop the right taste in this drink. Soon, over the next few years, mead might just become a staple at parties for raising a toast.